Friday, February 26, 2010

Adipose Derived Stem Cell Fat Transfer for Breast Augmentation


Cell-Assisted Lipotransfer for Cosmetic Breast Augmentation: Supportive Use of Adipose-Derived Stem/Stromal Cells
Kotaro Yoshimura,1 Katsujiro Sato,2 Noriyuki Aoi,1 Masakazu Kurita,3 Toshitsugu Hirohi,4 and Kiyonori Harii3

Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2008 January; 32(1): 48–55.
I have had the great opportunity to reacquaint with a mentor who has sparked my interest in the use of autologous fat transfer for breast augmentation. As I read through the selected reading articles, I have found excellent results published by Japan and Korea on the use of adipose derived stem cells of autologous fat transfer for cosmetic breast augmentation.

My interest in this grows, as I continue to having a growing group of patients who are interested in a small to modest increase in breast size and who do not want an implant of either silicone or saline. In these patients, available fat can be harvested from the lower abdomen, buttocks, and thighs and transferred to the breast for augmentation.

I am very satisfied with the results we are achieving with silicone gel implants and find that there will always be a continued role for them in women who desire a larger augmentation or require replacement of significant breast volume following mastectomy. I believe that fat transfer will not replace silicone breast augmentation, but serves as an alternative for those women who do not want a large volume augmentation and who do not want an implant based augmentation.

Brian P. Dickinson, M.D.